The Legal Unit of the Department of Safety is overseen by the Office of the Commissioner.
The Legal Unit is a legal team that functions as in-house counsel for the New Hampshire Department of Safety and is under the direction of the Commissioner's Office. It is currently comprised of four full- time attorneys and one part-time attorney, as well as paraprofessionals and support staff who assist in delivering a wide range of legal services Department-wide.
The Legal Unit provides the following services to all divisions and programs within the Department of Safety:
- Provides legal advice concerning federal and state laws and regulations;
- Reviews and helps draft legislation as it relates to the Department;
- Provides counsel to senior management on legal issues concerning policy and procedures, administrative rulemaking, labor and employment matters, contracts, civil liability, intergovernmental agreements, and right-to-know requests;
- Represents the Department in administrative and certain judicial proceedings; and
- Serves as liaison to the New Hampshire Department of Justice in litigation involving the Department of Safety